Another great year for the 32nd Lake Tahoe Autumn Food and Wine Festival!
September 8–10, 2017 ~ Northstar California
The North Lake Tahoe Resort Association and Northstar California announce the 2017 culinary winners from the 32nd annual Lake Tahoe Autumn Food and Wine Festival, Sept. 8-10. Among over 20 total culinary events at the festival, winners were selected from three major competitions: The Grand Tasting & Culinary Competition (Judges’ Awards and People’s Choice Awards), Blazing Pans Mountain Chef Cook-Off and Mountain Kids Cook-Off.
The Grand Tasting & Culinary Competition challenged 19 chefs in six food and beverage categories, awarding one gold, silver and bronze recipient for each. Martis Camp earned the Gold Judges’ Award for Best Food & Beverage Pairing, while Copper Lane Café and DNA Brewing Co. received the Gold People’s Choice Award.
Returning champion and Executive Chef William Burns of Moody’s Bistro, Bar and Beats won the Blazing Pans Mountain Chef Cook-Off for his second consecutive year vs. Chef Brynn Madden of Nourish Natural Foods. Chefs were tasked to create a two-course meal in under 45 minutes, using the challenging secret ingredient, grapes.
Youth Chefs Sofie Wasson, Sasha Penwarden and Laurel Anderson of “The Incredibles” won the Mountain Kids
Cook-Off Finalists—a succession of the pre-qualifying event, Aug. 6. Using the secret ingredient, cinnamon, two teams of three chefs, ages 8-12, received 30 minutes to create a 1 course meal.
As the venue for the Lake Tahoe Autumn Food and Wine Festival, Northstar California partnered with Clean Vibes, playing a key role toward Vail Resorts’ Epic Promise for a Zero Footprint initiative, which commits the company to zero net emissions by 2030, zero waste to landfill by 2030 and zero net operating impact to forests and habitat. Clean Vibes is dedicated to responsible on-site waste management, including recycling, composting and proper waste disposal efforts.
See below for a full list of winners:
GRAND TASTING & CULINARY COMPETITION – JUDGES’ AWARDS
Best Food & Beverage Pairing
● Gold: Martis Camp | Luli Wines | 2015 Pinot Noir
Santa Lucia Highlands | Pan seared Sonoma Duck Breast with Wild Mushroom | Golden Beet and Bing Cherry Mole
● Silver: Chalet View Lodge Kitchen & Bar | Rodney Strong Vineyards | 2014 Merlot
Napa/Sonoma | Beef al Sugo Goat Cheese Ravioli with Chimichurri
● Bronze: The Union Carson / Liberty Food & Wine | Mettler Family Vineyards | 2014 “Epicenter” Ole | Bentley Ranch Beef Heart Anticucho Skewers with 3 Sauces: Peruvian Chimichurri Calabrian Aioli and Ancho Chile Steak Sauce
● Gold: Martis Camp | Pan seared Sonoma Duck Breast with Wild Mushroom Golden Beet and Bing Cherry Mole
● Silver: Copper Lane Cafe | Pulled Pork Slaw and Imperial Red Ale Reduction on Thick Potato Chip
● Bronze: Ardent Mills | Traditional Japanese Rice Congee w/Teriyaki Chicken fresh cilantro Thai Basil
Green Onion Ginger Sauce Seasonings and Cashews
Best Dessert Pairing
Silkwood Winery | Marich Chocolates | 2008 Petite Sirah Central Valley California | Chocolate Coconut Toffee Macadamia Nuts
Best Red Wine
● Gold: Luna Vineyards | 2014 Winemakers Red Blend Napa Valley
● Silver: Luli Wines | 2015 Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands
● Bronze: Rodney Strong Vineyards | 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley Best White Wine
● Gold: Charles & Charles | 2015 Riesling Washington State
● Silver: Illanta Wines | 2016 Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
● Bronze: ZD Wines | 2015 Chardonnay California Best Beverage other than Wine:
● Gold: Charbay Distillery | Green Tea Vodka Cocktail
● Best Beer: DNA Brewing Co | Red Imperial Ale
GRAND TASTING & CULINARY COMPETITION – PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS
Best Food & Beverage Pairing
● Gold: Copper Lane Café |DNA Brewing Co. | Red Imperial Ale | Pulled Pork, Slaw and Imperial Red Ale Reduction on Thick Potato Chip
● Silver: Ardent Mills | Charbay Distillery | Green Tea Vodka Cocktail| Traditional Japanese Rice Congee | Teriyaki Chicken Fresh Cilantro, Thai Basil, Green Onion Ginger
● Bronze: Sunnyside Resort | Pride Mountain Vineyards | 2014 Merlot |Sweet and Spicy Pork Belly
● Gold: Copper Lane Café | Pulled Pork, Slaw and Imperial Red Ale Reduction on Thick Potato Chip
● Silver: Granlibakken | Indonesian Curried Shrimp with Butternut Squash, Mango, Lime, Fresh
Cilantro, Coconut Milk on a Fried Wonton
● Bronze: Ardent Mills | Traditional Japanese Rice Congee w/Teriyaki Chicken Fresh Cilantro, Thai
Basil, Green Onion Ginger Sauce, Seasonings and Cashews
Best Red Wine
● Gold: Pride Mountain Vineyards | 2014 Merlot, Napa/Sonoma
● Silver: Cooper Vineyards | 2014 Barbera Riserva, Amador County
● Bronze: Silkwood Wines | 2008 Petite Sirah, California Central Valley
Best White Wine
● Gold: ZD Wines | 2015 Chardonnay, California
● Silver: Charles & Charles | 2015 Riesling, Washington State
● Bronze: Orin Swift | 2016 Sauvignon Blanc, Russian River Valley, Sonoma County Best Beverage other than Wine
● Gold: Charbay Distillery
● DNA Brewing Co.
Best Booth Presentation
● Copper Lane Café & DNA Brewing Co.
BLAZING PANS CHEF MOUNTAIN COOK-OFF CHAMPION
William Burns | Moody’s Bistro, Bar & Beats
MOUNTAIN KIDS COOK-OFF CHAMPIONS
Group Name: The Incredibles | Sofie Wasson, Sasha Penwarden, Laurel Anderson